News report | 06-01-2026 | 12:47
“Defenseless victims who wanted to cycle home after a pleasant evening at a wine party in Deurningen were suddenly attacked by suspects. They were forcefully kicked, punched, and beaten, including in the face. One of the victims even lost consciousness and was taken to the hospital by ambulance. This was a case of completely senseless severe violence with enormous consequences for the victims, physically but especially psychologically.” Words to this effect were spoken by the public prosecutor today in the court in Almelo. Two suspects from Enschede, a 35-year-old man and a 24-year-old man, stood trial there.
The Public Prosecution Service demanded prison sentences of 12 and 8 months respectively against the suspects, of which 3 months in both cases were conditional. The two are suspected of attempted grievous bodily harm, assault, and public violence. A third suspect, with a significantly smaller role in the violence, will be tried later.
On the evening of September 21, 2025, a group of people, including the five victims, returned from the party. They had had a pleasant evening, they said. The suspects, who had also been at the party, behaved annoyingly and aggressively all evening, according to witness statements. Outside the party venue, one of the suspects threw something towards the victims. When one of the victims made a remark about it, something like ‘is that really necessary,’ the suspects completely lost it.
The 35-year-old attacked five victims, including two women. “He went wild like a mad bull,” said the public prosecutor. The 35-year-old was still on probation for a violent incident from 2023. The Public Prosecution Service demands 12 months in prison against him, of which 3 are conditional with deduction of pre-trial detention. The previously imposed conditional prison sentence of 5 weeks must also be served, according to the prosecutor.
The 24-year-old suspect had also been previously convicted for a violent incident; his probation had just ended. The demand against this suspect is 8 months, of which 3 are conditional with deduction of pre-trial detention. The Public Prosecution Service takes into account personal circumstances and the advice of the probation service.
The Public Prosecution Service speaks of severe senseless violence. The victims played no role in the incident. “This incident shocked many people. It could have happened to any of us: being in the wrong place at the wrong time and running into the wrong people,” said the public prosecutor. She considers a partly unconditional prison sentence appropriate and necessary.
